Saturday, March 4, 2017

BTR Turn 1

     The American turn turned out okay. Better than expected dice rolling in the Sedan area resulted in the elimination of the German defender and an Exploitation move one hex past the city by the US 4th Infantry Division.
     The attack on Chaumont by the 35th ID was called off, however, when the air support failed to DG the target hex. From previous experience, I know that OCS can be very unforgiving to an attacker, so best not to push your luck. I moved an arty group forward in case my air fails again next turn. I will take the city, but I'd rather not have to spend any more SP than necessary -- but I will if I have to.
      The following three pics show the situation at the end of the American turn. 

     The American left flank. I've circled the major combat units: red for American and black for German. The American units are four infantry divisions and the 5th Armored. The German units are all panzer divisions. The Lehr Panzer in the woods is only a couple of units, so I put a minus symbol next to them.
     This is a good time for the players to review the terrain modifiers. Armor in heavy woods (all the dark green hexes on the tan hexes) not only attacks at one-half strength, but defends at half-strength, too. In short, these woods are no place for armor -- at all. The hills (open tan hexes) aren't so good, either. So the only real tank country here is the little corridor around Thionville. This is where the 5th Armored is heading.

     The 4 ID exploited through the city and is now heading for Sedan. I need to pull those armored TD units out of the woods because they're defending and attacking at half-strength there. I assume those are M-10 units. The mech units (red) are good. They at least defend at full strength.

     A close-up of the "Thionville Corridor," as I'm calling it. The 5th Armored's aggressive advance has at least ensured that the US player won't have to fight through the circled hexes. (Those are old Maginot Line fortifications that still offer some defensive benefit.)

THE GERMAN RESPONSE
    The following pics show the situation at the conclusion the German moves on turn 1.

     The German 80 Corps HQ had to do some fancy footwork to get supply to the Lehr recon unit in the woods. That's a 5 AR unit. I'd hate to lose it. The Lehr armor fuels up and heads for the "corridor" where it might be able to do some good, leaving behind a mech unit to slow down the US advance.  Sedan is just a speed-bump at this point.

     The Germans relocate a panzer division to guard the "corridor." I think a German player would find the American plan obvious given the terrain modifiers. The armor will head for the open country. The poor bloody infantry will do the dirty work.

     I don't envision a lot of action in this sector. The Germans rolled well during their Reinforcement Phase and were able to bring on a bunch of fighters from their Luftflotte group. Since they're basically on temporary loan, I put them as close to the front as possible to guard against US bombing runs. Two German panzer divisions are in reserve here. Probably a waste of resources.

     The American right flank (south). The horizontal green lines show where US and French reinforcements are slated to appear over the next couple of turns. The Germans deploy to slow them down. Too much space, too few units.
     Because of an abstracted US Air Interdiction rule, it costs German units 1 MP to travel by road during good weather. This confuses me on occasion because supply lines can still be traced at 1/2 MP per road hex. It can be hard to keep the distinction straight. Also, most of the German moves in this area were done by rail. The German can move 10 REs by rail, the equivalent of 40 battalions. So as far as moving these little units around, rail capacity is virtually limitless, but I still have to do a better job at keeping track of German rail movement. Something to add to my Order Sheet.

     Well, that's turn 1. Phew! Once I sit down for a while and review the situation from the American perspective, I'm sure I'll find the flaw in the German response. Turn 2 should see a lot of action.





No comments:

Post a Comment