Sunday, April 30, 2017

WE GOT NEXT!

     These games are next -- in more ways than one. I first learned about this series just a couple days ago. Everything I've read and seen about them since then indicate that they are right up my alley -- complex and substantial, if not all that massive. The game system itself is also the work of Gene Billingsley who also produced Operation Mercury, a game I'm very fond of.

The Next War, in situ. No packing peanuts this time.
      What this actually represents to me is a chance to redeem myself for my failure to play Gulf Strike very much when I had the chance. At the time, I found that game just too complex to actually play. Didn't stop me from admiring the hell out of it, though. I had always wanted to play it. Now's my chance.

This is not a game for playing; it's a game for laying down and avoiding. I had the pre-Sadam version (eye roll).
First up: India-Pakistan.
This one adds naval rules.
Rules booklet and Game Specific Rules booklet are both glossy and full-color.
Lots of player aids, a first class production all the way around.
The standard rules are actually pretty short and sweet.
9/16" counters designed for GMT's aging fanbase.
Big hexes. Die shows scale.
     Both games are one-mappers. I've already gone through the Standard Rules and found them relatively simple, straight-forward common wargaming fare. If Beyond the Rhine wasn't taking up all my table space, I think I could set it up and start playing today. The game includes both Standard and Advanced scenarios, allowing you to start small and work your way into the full game. I've only opened NWIP so far, Taiwan is still in shrink.
     GMT has been at this for some years now. They have really set the bar high for everybody else.

3 comments:

  1. These games both look awesome!!! And with a new table you could play The Rhine AND India-Pakistan. "...a game for lying down and avoiding" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea! I could, for example, move my dual table setup towards one wall. Then I could buy an additional single table and place it lengthwise against the opposite wall. This would give me a space for my 4-mappers, like Beyond the Rhine, and a one-mapper, like Next War: India-Pakistan! By jove, I think you've solved my problem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I love the line drawing of Sadam Hussein on the Gulf Strike box cover. A brilliant marketing stroke! At first glance, it looks like an endorsement. "My favorite game!" exclaims Sadam, "Plus, I'm annexing Kuwait..." But he looks too neat in that drawing. I prefer the spider-hole Sadam (the bearded, frightened one). It's like which do you prefer: young Elvis or Fat Elvis? I like Spider-Hole Sadam!

    ReplyDelete